On Feb. 9, 2012, I had the privilege to present to the Women’s Success Group (WSG) in Stockton about social media marketing. The thirty plus ladies and gentlemen in the room were energetic and eager to learn what else they could do to brand their business with social media.
They had many questions such as where should they start, how can I get a QR code to does blogging help my SEO? One question that was asked several times and even at our “Planning Pays Off” presentation was, “What should I do?”
It depends on who is your audience, are you just starting, do you have a new product or service, how much time do you have, etc. One thing is for sure, if you start branding with social media, you must be consistent.
So many times we “like” a new page because you’re invited or you find the postings interesting, and then they stop. How often do you see 1000 “fans” on a Facebook page, but no wall postings for four months, or 1000 “followers” and only 50 tweets? Where is the engaging content?
Here are 10 strategies for a successful social media marketing platform:
1. Establish your vision statement – Be clear and focused.
2. Get support – Get customers and employees to participate.
3. Research – What are industry trends? What can you do better than your competition?
4. Define your goals – Do you want to improve your brand, increase sales, create traffic, etc?
5. Create tactics – Start a blog and/or promote through Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn.
6. Set a budget – What is the cost to hire a virtual assistant or purchase “pay per clicks”?
7. Establish your resources – Money, people, tools, etc.
8. Create content – Communicate with different formats: text, video, podcast, etc.
9. Promote content – B2B: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn / B2C: Facebook, YouTube, Yelp!
10. Monitor and measure results – Google Analytics, Facebook Insights and make changes.
When you’re ready to engage with social media, be ready to commit and have a strategy. Thanks again to WSG the invitation and for donating to help the SJC Women’s Center. For information on their next networking luncheon, please visit their mobile website at www.wsg.mobimakersites.com.