Green Monday takes place the second Monday in December, and it is a great way to shop online, save on purchases, save on shipping cost and have your gifts delivered by Christmas. However, with online information overload and trying to capture the best deals quickly, it is easy to become a victim.
Here are some tips to consider:
- Have a strong password when creating new accounts
- Do not use a public computer
- Use only secured retail wi-fi services
- Visit only secured and reputable retail websites (https)
- For you laptops, tablets and smart phones us security software
- Install updates as soon as possible
- Stay away from deals that sound too good to be true
- Keep records of your online purchases
- Check the transactions on your debit and credit accounts regularly
- Report an unauthorized transaction immediately
- Have packages delivered to locations where someone you trust will be there to receive them (work, relative, mail service)
- When download a mobile app, verify the developers credentials
- Use credit cards that offer ID theft protection or even better use disposable credit cards
Technology for shopping online is amazing and convenient. There are some new tech tools to make your shopping experience easier.
For iPhone users there is “Passbook” which helps keep track of your gift cards, rewards cards and coupons. For capturing some of the best holiday bargains, try NerdWallet.com. Mobile phones are simple to use with your favorite retailer store by scanning their QR code, and having those holiday gifts and toys purchased and shipped.
During this holiday season, not only stay safe while shopping online, but be smart by creating a list and a budget. Happy shopping.