During the holidays many businesses will be running a contest or a promotion on their Facebook page. Did you know that Facebook changed their contest and promotion rules in August 2013?
You still can not run a contest or promotion on your personal Facebook timeline, but now it’s easier to run them on your Facebook timeline page. You can choose to run a contest though your page timeline or through an app.
- You can collect entries by having users post on a page
- You can collect entries by having users comment or like a page post
- You can collect entries by having users message a page
- You can also use likes as a voting tool
If you use Facebook for contests and promotions, you are responsible for the lawful operation and execution. Make sure to review Facebook’s Promotion guidelines. Here is a YouTube video explaining some of the new rules.
Other than saving Facebook’s Page guidelines, here are some tips on what to consider when setting up a contest:
- Create a photo with basic contest rules to better engage your audience
- Request they add a comment to enter so you may tag the winner
- Provide clear rules on your Facebook page and on your website
- Post your contest post on the top of your timeline page for best visibility
- Make the contest for a short length of time (one week vs. one month)
If you found these Facebook tips valuable, please comment, like and share. If you require some help marketing and managing your Facebook Timeline page contests or promotions, contact us today.